Sunday, May 18, 2014

The Kentucky Derby

Nashville, good friends, adult beverages, and horse racing. Those are a few key words to describe our much needed vacation! 

I was pretty much an unprepared, nervous wreck, leading up to this trip. With Mike away in Kansas City and having to leave Pen for the first time I am surprised I still have any hair left. Holy smokes! Luckily I had some help. My dad came a few days before my trip to help me get all packed up and various other little jobs - changing diapers, picking up dog poo, cleaning my Tahoe. Yes, he is the best! When it was time for me to leave I was certain Penelope was in good hands but it was one of the toughest things I've done since she has been born. My dad babysat the first half of our trip and Mike's parents took on the second half. We are truly lucky to have such great grandparents to our little girl! Wow! 

First night in Nashville with the girls. (Mike came the following day) 

So I must remind everyone that I hadn't seen Michael in two weeks which is the longest we've been away from each other since we met 5 years ago! I arrived in Nashville with our group of (5) friends on Thursday and Michael met me there on Friday but only after his flight was delayed an extra hour. Yes only an hour, but that hour about put me in tears! I was so ready to have my husband back and to start vacation with him! When he got there we wasted no time and hit downtown Nashville, just the two of us, while everyone else attended a concert. After an amazing dinner and some "dancing" if that's what you want to call it (haha) we decided we needed to head back and get some sleep. Our alarm at 4 AM apparently came too quickly because as everyone else was up and ready to drive to Louisville, we were sound asleep. Yikes, a little later than anticipated but we rose to the occasion and made it to the derby! 


Mike and I left the races a little early to beat the crowd. I'd say we left at just the right time because things were getting a little funky for my taste and as a bonus we got a nap in before dinner! After freshening up, we decided to go downtown Louisville and check things out. We were pleasantly surprised! 


What an adventure! The next day we headed back to Nashville for one last night with out friends. Oh and we did this..... 

(Penelope's birthdate) 

A spontaneous decision to say the least! I will fill everyone in more on that in my Mother's Day post! 

Again, a big thanks to both of our parents who looked after our little for us. We never took an official honeymoon trip and this was just what we needed! Love you all! 

Cole, Kami, Brett, Julia, & Corey- 
So glad we took this trip! Apparently it wasn't our time to get rich but the memories will do for me :) Thanks for all the planning, Kami! 

Penelope was happy to see we had returned! 













 

No comments:

Post a Comment